Child custody Modifications Lawyer Dallas, TX

Modifications Lawyers Dallas TXLife is constantly changing, and you may be contemplating a modification to your current child custody orders. Fortunately, in Texas, child custody orders are not permanent. If you need to change your child custody orders because of some major life changes, or because that is what is best for your child, it is well within your rights to do so. If this is something you are considering, it would be smart to have the help of an child custody lawyer who is a specialist with the issues surrounding child custody modifications. A strong knowledge of and experience with the court system and court personnel where you will need to file your modification is incredibly important as well. The attorneys at Scroggins Law Group, PLLC know family law inside and out. Mark Scroggins and John Withers are experts in family law and child custody modifications and spend a lot of time in the family law courts of Dallas County.

Just like in the original child custody orders, with a child custody modification the court will base its decision on what is in the best interest of the child. The court can look at factors such as the child’s needs, the child’s wishes if they are over the age of 12, and the child’s relationship with each parent. If you are the parent seeking the child custody modification you will need to prove that the changes you want to make are in the best interest of the child. It is extremely important that you put any personal feelings aside regarding the child’s other parent and make sure you are putting your child first. The attorneys at Scroggins Law Group, PLLC can help you remain objective and formulate a plan to best achieve your goals with regards to the child custody modification.

A modification may be filed by either parent, but it must be filed in the court where the original orders were granted. The exception to this is if the child no longer lives in the county where the original child custody orders were put in place. If the child has moved to a different county, the case may be transferred to the county of the child’s new residence. If both parents agree that the modification needs to happen and agree to the changes that need to be made a proposed custody order can be submitted to the court. If both parents do not agree that there should be changes made or do not agree on what changes you will need to prove that the changes you propose are necessary and in the best interest of the child and both parents will need to appear before the court.

There are several reasons a modification to current child custody orders may be sought. These include, but are not limited to:

  • The child is over the age of 12 and wants to change the primary caregiver;
  • Changes in the marital status of the parents;
  • Job relocations of one or both of the parents;
  • Unemployment of one or both of the parents;
  • Medical conditions of any party of the suit;
  • Abuse – including abuse or neglect of the child by either parent or substance abuse by either parent.

If there is an emergency related to abuse and your child’s welfare is in immediate danger you should first call the police. After the child is removed from the immediate danger as a result of the police intervention, it is a good idea to contact an attorney immediately. There is emergency relief that can be sought from the court such as a temporary restraining order, while the process of a child custody modification is in the works.

It is important to document any reason you have for wanting to make the changes to the child custody order. It is smart to communicate in writing (via text or e-mail), to keep a calendar or a journal that can be used as supporting evidence for your claim as to why the changes are in the best interest of the child. You also want to make sure that you are dutifully completing any of the responsibilities assigned to you in the child custody order and exercising any visitation you have with the child.

Both Mark L. Scroggins and John Withers of Scroggins Law Group, PLLC, have over 25 years of experience to draw from. Mr. Scroggins and Mr. Withers are also both board-certified in family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, something that fewer than 1.5% of all lawyers in the state of Texas have achieved. When contemplating a modification, you want to ensure that you hire an attorney who is both an expert in family law and familiar with the family law courts in Dallas County, Texas. The attorneys at Scroggins Law Group, PLLC are well versed in both. They have the skills required to listen to your preferred outcome and then analyze your situation in order to guide you on how to best achieve your goals. They are compassionate and willing to fight for their clients.

Contact Scroggins Law Group, PLLC today at 214-469-3100 for information about obtaining a child custody modification lawyer Dallas, Tx residents trust. We can set up an initial consultation in person, by telephone, or via video conferencing apps such as FaceTime, Skype, or Zoom. The initial consultation is a great time for you to get to know the attorney. During the initial consultation, you can speak to an attorney about your specific situation and ask any questions that you may have. It is a good idea to ask them about their specific experience and how they can best help you. We can advise you about obtaining a lawyer and we will take the time to talk to you and learn about your specific circumstances and provide you with a strategic plan on how to accomplish your goals. We at Scroggins Law Group, PLLC are here to help you obtain a child custody modification in Dallas County and achieve what is best for your family at this time.

Contact Us

© 2020 by Scroggins Law Group, PLLC. All rights reserved. Sitemap. Powered by Razor Rank 

*Mark L. Scroggins is *board-certified in family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Unless otherwise noted, other attorneys are not *board-certified.

**Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters service, awarded to Mark Scroggins 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)

The information in this article (OR ON THIS WEBSITE) is for general information purposes only. The information contained herein is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. You should not rely on any information in this article, but should consult a licensed attorney for legal advice regarding your specific case. Nothing in this article should be construed as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Viewing of this information is not intended and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Additional Resources