Available by Phone 24/7
Available by Phone 24/7

Custody Order: Suit Affecting Parent Child Relationship (SAPCR)

When two people are not married, they need a custody order to address the needs of a child, they must file what is called a Suit Affecting Parent Child Relationship (SAPCR). Without court orders people may get along well and share responsibilities to the child and its best interests. At some point the couple may no longer agree about children’s’ issues and child rearing. To protect yourself and the best interests of a child, filing a SAPCR is what is necessary to obtain a custody order from a court that retains jurisdiction. Separate actions may be filed with the original court with continuing jurisdiction to enforce or modify the custody order.

Filing a Suit Affecting Parent Child Relationship to get a custody order

Child custody and visitation issues are what cause people to go to court and a file a SAPCR case. Residence of the child and geographic restrictions on moving and travel are properly included in an order from the court.

Child support and medical support needs can be established in a SAPCR case. The regular and special needs of children can change, and it may be necessary to obtain custody orders to ensure the best interests and needs of the child are satisfied.

In cases where Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (“CPS”) removes a child from the parents for abuse or neglect findings, CPS files its own SAPCR, which may ask the court to establish paternity.

Acknowledging and Establishing Paternity

Parents of a child who are not married must establish paternity. When the original SAPCR is filed, it may include a request for the court to make a legal finding to establish and adjudicate a parent child relationship between the child and biological father.

Suit to Modify Parent Child Relationship

After the original SAPCR custody order is established, the court with jurisdiction over the SAPCR will retain continuing jurisdiction over the child and the orders issued. As the needs in the best interest of the child may change, a Suit to Modify Parent Child Relationship can be filed with the court that issued the original order. The modification case may address any of the usual children’s issues such as custody, visitation, support (including medical)

For additional information about SAPCR cases or actions to modify or enforce a custody order, please contact Scroggins Law Group in Dallas.

About Scroggins Law Group: Dallas, Collin and Denton County Board Certified divorce and family law attorney Mark Scroggins, and the team at Scroggins Law Group represent clients in a variety of divorce and family law matters.

At Scroggins Law Group, we have more than 20 years of experience with family law cases in Dallas, Denton and Collin Counties. When you retain our firm, you can trust that your case is in the hands of a highly skilled, dedicated professional. We understand the unique challenges of a high value divorce case, and more importantly, have the knowledge and experience you need on your side. Call us today, (214) 469-3100, to learn more about Texas divorce and family law.

Scroll to Top